- I-35 North for 110 miles (just past Black Bear Casino)
- Exit onto MN-33 to the North for 20 miles
- MN-33 becomes US-53
- Stay on US-53 until you pass through Virginia, MN
- Four miles after Virginia, take MN-169 North towards Ely
- I-35 North to Duluth for 154 miles
- When I-35 ends, there is a stoplight. Turn right at the light onto MN-61 “North Shore Drive”
- Stay on MN-61 for 57 miles
- In Finland, turn left onto MN-1 for 60 miles into Ely. (Finland is the last stop for gas before Ely)
- Head East out of Ely on Sheridan Street (169)
- Hwy 169 becomes Fernberg Road
- At mile mark 15 you will pass a sign for Red Rock Store on left.
Prepare to make right turn in ½ mile.
- Turn right onto Old County 18 at the KoWaKan Adventures sign
- Follow Old County 18 as it turns left. You will go by a small lake in about a ¼ mile on your right side.
- Follow the directional sign on the left to our pavilion and welcoming area
Hinckley, MN (70 miles N of the Twin Cities): Tobies Restaurant and Bakery has been a traveler’s tradition and rite of passage to the North Land since 1948. Stop in for a world famous caramel roll!
Palisade Park: Two miles past Silver Bay there is a right turn for Palisade Head (look for a small sign). Follow the road to the top of a 300-foot cliff with a sheer drop into Lake Superior. Excellent views of the lake and Shovel Point- a quick stop, and well worth it!
Cloquet, MN: Gordy's Hi-Hat, old-fashioned burger joint, featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
Lake Superior on the North Shore Drive